Go Back

Baccarat Vs Poker - Are They Different & Which Is Better?

Baccarat Vs Poker - Are They Different & Which Is Better?

Welcome to our latest blog post at Bezy. Today, we're diving into the captivating world of card games, specifically poker and baccarat. Whether you're a novice curious about these popular casino games or simply looking to refine your understanding, this post is for you. 

We'll explore the basics of both poker and baccarat, highlight the key differences between them, examine which game offers better odds, and discuss which one - if any - might be considered superior. Join us as we unravel these classics in a way that's easy to grasp and fun to learn. 

What Is Poker Card Game?

Poker is a popular card game that blends skill, strategy, and chance. It's played in various forms, but the essence remains the same: players compete to have the best hand or to be the last one standing through others folding, effectively surrendering the pot. 

Each player is dealt cards. Over several rounds, players bet, raise, or fold based on the strength of their hand and their estimates about their opponents' hands. The goal is to win the pot by being the player with the strongest hand at the end or by being the last one standing by causing players to fold (drop out). 

What Is Baccarat Card Game?

Baccarat is a straightforward card game often played at casinos. In baccarat, the objective is simple: bet on which of two hands - the "Player" or the "Banker" - will come closest to a total of nine or if the outcome will be a tie. 

Each round begins with two cards dealt to both the Player and the Banker. Depending on the cards, a third may be dealt to one or both. Numbered cards are worth their face value, aces are worth one, and tens or face cards count as zero. Players place their bets before the cards are revealed, and the hand closest to nine wins. 

The score for each hand is determined by the last digit of the hand's total. For example, if the cards in one hand have a total of 17, the hand has a score of 7 for the purposes of baccarat. If the other had a total of 10, it would have a score of 0. 

How Is Poker Different To Baccarat?

Poker and baccarat are both popular casino games, but they differ significantly in gameplay, strategy, and player involvement. 

Poker is a game of strategy and psychology, where players compete against each other, making decisions based on the strength of their cards and their estimates of other players' hands based on perceptions gained from watching their behaviour. It requires skill in betting, bluffing, and reading opponents. 

Baccarat, on the other hand, is more straightforward and largely a game of chance. Players decide where to place their bets - on the Player, Banker, or a tie - and then the dealer manages the rest, following strict rules for dealing cards. There is no opportunity for bluffing or decision-making during the hand. 

These fundamental differences mean that poker is often seen as a game for players who enjoy control and strategy and is seen as a longer, more serious game, while baccarat is appealing for its simplicity and quicker gameplay, making it more accessible to casual players than poker may be. 

Does Baccarat Have Better Odds?

In baccarat, the odds are more straightforward and can be quantified since the game is based on fixed rules rather than player decisions. Generally, the Banker's hand wins slightly more often than the Player's hand, with around a 45.8% chance of the Banker winning and about a 44.6% chance for the Player. The remaining percentage (roughly 9.6%) represents the likelihood of a tie, which usually offers higher payouts but is less likely to occur. 

In contrast, poker odds vary significantly based on the cards you hold, the community cards on the table, and the potential hands of your opponents. Calculating these odds involves understanding the probability of specific card combinations and the psychology of other players, making it dynamic and complex. 

Therefore, while baccarat offers more predictable outcomes, poker provides a variable game environment where strategy and skill significantly influence the odds. 

Baccarat vs Poker - Which Game Is Better?

When comparing baccarat and poker, it's important to recognise that no game is objectively better than the other. These games cater to different preferences and playing styles. Baccarat is ideal for those who prefer a straightforward, fast-paced game with simpler rules and less need for strategy. It's largely based on chance, and players decide where to place their bets before the round commences. 

Poker, on the other hand, appeals to players who enjoy a deeper strategic element. It requires understanding complex rules, reading opponents, and making calculated decisions based on the hand you're dealt and the community cards. 

Ultimately, whether a player prefers poker or baccarat depends on what they want from a game. Are they seeking quick, clear outcomes, or are they looking for a game where skill and strategy play a significant role? Each game offers a unique experience, making them incomparable on an objective scale. 


In conclusion, poker and baccarat are two distinct casino card games, each offering a unique appeal. 

Poker is a game of skill and strategy, where players compete against each other, using their knowledge and psychological insights to gain the upper hand. Baccarat, on the other hand, is simpler and more reliant on chance, with outcomes based on fixed rules and straightforward betting on either the Player, Banker, or a tie. 

While poker allows for strategic play and deeper involvement, baccarat offers a quicker, less complex game. Ultimately, the choice between poker and baccarat depends on personal preference, as neither game is objectively better than the other. 

If you choose to play either, or any other casino game for that matter, please gamble responsibly. 

*All values (Bet Levels, Maximum Wins, etc.) mentioned in relation to these games are subject to change at any time. Game features mentioned may not be available in some jurisdictions.